Tampa Truck Accident Lawyers
Big rig tractor trailers weigh thousands of pounds more than a car and can dominate the lanes of a highway. If you were seriously injured in a truck or by a semi, contact our experienced Tampa Truck Accident Lawyers to fight for your full recovery. We offer free consultations to anyone injured in a motor vehicle.
A Semi-Truck Accident Can Devastate Your Life
Large trucks are an indispensable part of interstate commerce, especially when the Tampa Port Authority claims to be the largest cargo tonnage port in Florida.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) states that more than 4,000 people are killed and injured each year in truck accidents. Because 18-wheeler big rigs can weigh between 10,000 to 80,000 pounds with multiple trailers, people in cars will always represent a disproportionate percentage of fatalities in Florida truck accidents.
Tampa Truck Accident Lawyers Morgenstern & Herd, P.A. handle truck accident and wrongful death cases where often multiple parties may be at fault—negligent truck driver, commercial owner or operator, or a truck manufacturer.
Although complicated state and federal regulations govern cargo, loading, weight, maintenance and operation of big rigs, serious truck accidents are common, and may be due to:
For each case, we also review many aspects of the truck’s operation:
Frequently Asked Questions About Truck Accidents
What Should I Know if I Was Injured by a Truck Driver in a Car?
- A commercial vehicle is defined under the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Act, so if a vehicle weighs over 10,000 pounds, the likelihood of that vehicle causing injury if there’s an accident is much greater than a 2,000-3,000-pound vehicle. If you are injured by the fault of a commercial driver, then there are only certain lawyers who handle trucking cases, and you need to go to a lawyer who is familiar with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Act and the special requirements that are required under commercial driver’s licenses.
Do Commercial Vehicles Carry Special Insurance?
- Commercial vehicles are required to be insured under policies that carry $750,000 in coverage for bodily injuries, and that’s because all motor vehicles are considered dangerous instrumentalities. Commercial vehicles that weigh more are prone to causing greater injuries when a commercial driver doesn’t exercise reasonable care.
Are There Special Laws that Apply to Commercial Vehicles?
- In Florida, the federal motor carrier safety act has been codified into Florida law. That safety act provides special regulations that apply to commercial vehicles. A commercial vehicle is a vehicle that weighs much more than your car and is defined under the statute. The reason for special laws on commercial vehicles is because the car is heavier, the heavier a commercial truck, the more risk you are for injury being on a highway with that commercial vehicle.
What Should I do if I was Hit by a School Bus?
- If you are involved in a collision with a school bus that’s owned by the county, there are specific laws that apply to that crash. If you’re injured you should see a medical provider first and immediately see a lawyer because the time limits are shorter.
What Should I Do if I Was Injured Driving a Commercial Vehicle?
- If you have an injury that occurs on the job, it depends on whether or not that injury is caused by a co-employee or your employer. If it is, you need a workers’ compensation attorney because you can’t sue your employer even if your employer is negligent, except under certain circumstances. Generally, you can’t sue your employer. If you’re on the job and you’re injured by a third party, then you need to seek the evaluation of your injury claim by a personal injury lawyer. At Morgenstern & Herd, we often work with workers’ compensation lawyers and we’ll repay your compensation for that injury claim out of the recovery of the proceeds from the third party who’s at fault for your injuries.
The Lawyers at Morgenstern & Herd, P.A. are a formidable opponent. We always strive to settle cases out of court first but we are ready to take your case to the next level if necessary. Our Tampa Truck Accident Lawyers use many experts that help us prepare every case—medical experts, truck-driving specialists, and accident reconstruction specialists.
Contact our experienced Tampa Truck Accident Lawyers if you or loved one has been injured or killed in a Semi Truck accident. We will Fight for You!