Tampa Medical Malpractice Attorney
Being injured by a doctor or medical professional can bring up a lot of anger and frustration. Tampa Medical Malpractice Attorney Betsey Herd has over 25 years of combined medical and legal experience, providing her with unique insight to help injured Florida residents obtain the maximum settlement available.
Tampa Medical Malpractice Attorney Betsey Herd is a Florida native. She was born in St. Petersburg, Florida and has lived here most of her life. Betsey Herd’s personal experience drives her commitment to the safe practice of medicine, reform on behalf of the nation’s frail elders, and litigation on behalf of victims of others’ negligence. Tampa Medical Malpractice Attorney Herd believes in medical provider accountability and fiscal responsibility, having worked for several years in the medical field.
After receiving her Bachelor’s degree in exercise science and a Master’s degree in cardiovascular physiology, Betsey Herd seemed destined for a career in the health industry.
She devised a screening program for corporate fitness centers and designed nurse education programs for a national chain of rehabilitation centers. Ms. Herd served as a clinical manager for one of the largest hospital systems in the country, Methodist Health System, and helped manage outpatient/inpatient rehabilitation programs nationwide with Cardiopulmonary Rehabilitation Centers. It was here that she developed an interest in law.
Tampa Medical Malpractice Attorney Herd has 23 years combined medical and legal experience, providing her with unique insight into the intersection of law and medicine, especially related to cardiac health.
Tampa Medical Malpractice Attorney Herd earned her Bachelor’s degree at the University of Florida, her Masters in cardiovascular physiology at Wake Forest University, and her Juris Doctorate at Memphis State University. Her practice areas include personal injury, automobile litigation, and medical malpractice.
Tampa Medical Malpractice Attorney Herd is the past president of the Tampa Bay Trial Lawyers Association (2006–2007), the past secretary of the Women’s Caucus and an EAGLE program sponsor. She is a member of the Florida Justice Association (formerly the Academy of Florida Trial Lawyers) since 1997, has served on their Board of Directors from 2002–2009, and is the second woman to have served on the FJA Executive Committee. Tampa Medical Malpractice Attorney Herd has participated in legislative campaigns designed to promote consumer awareness since 2000. She has also presented at various auto negligence and medical negligence CLE seminars.
Tampa Medical Malpractice Attorney Herd spends a substantial portion of her time lobbying for victims’ rights in Tallahassee. She has also testified before the legislature against laws proposed to restrict the rights of victims of medical negligence, and personal injury. She received the Secretary of Health’s Award in 2004 for her service on a mammogram task force where the rights of undiagnosed breast cancer victim’s rights were in jeopardy.
Areas of Practice
Admitted to Practice
- Florida, 1995
- Tennessee, 1995
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida
Awards and Honors
- AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review RatedSM by Martindale-Hubbell®
- Super Lawyers: 2010 Through 2017
- Ranked Top 50 Florida Women SuperLawyers for 2012 and 2014
- Appointed to Mammography Accessibility Workgroup by the President of the Florida Senate, 2004
- Secretary of Health’s Service Award
- Jurisprudence Awards for Torts I, Trial Advocacy, Appellate Argument, and Moot Court
- In 2011 Betsey Herd was chosen by her peers as one of the Florida Legal Elite Attorneys.
- Florida Legal Elite: 2012 Through 2017
- Memphis State University, J.D., 1994
- Wake Forest University, M.A., Cardiovascular Physiology, 1985
- University of Florida, B.S., 1982
- With honors
- Hillsborough County Bar Association
- The Florida Bar
- Florida Justice Association
- Tampa Bay Trial Lawyers Association
- The American Association of Justice
- The Charles E. Smith Companies, Exercise Physiologist
- Cardio Pulmonary Rehabilitation Centers, Consultant
- The Methodist Hospitals of Memphis, Clinical Manager
- Shear, Newman, Hahn, and Rosenkranz, Attorney
- Swope Law Group, Attorney
- Wagner, Vaughan & McLaughlin, Partner
Experienced Tampa Attorney Betsey T. Herd assists Florida Residents in Matters of Medical Malpractice and Personal Injury. Our Attorneys will Fight for You!